Make Amherst your home base for all of your Nova Scotia activities, festivals, and events.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Find the work of hundreds of artisans at Dayle’s Grand Market in downtown Amherst and at the Amherst Artisan Gallery at the Amherst Centre Mall.
- Try a mother-daughter rug hooking class at Deanne Fitzpatrick Studio.
- Pick up some specialty fabric at Mrs. Pugsley’s Emporium.
- Stroll past gorgeous sandstone buildings and enjoy live music in a downtown restaurant.
- Kick up your heels at the Wednesday night Bordertown Jam.
- Enjoy open mic at the Legion’s Sunday Hootenanny.
- Hear local ghost stories on community radio station CFTA 107.9 every Thursday evening.
- Walk, run, cycle, snowshoe or ski along Amherst’s picturesque 1.25 km (0.78 mi) marshside trail between Motor Avenue and Derby Street. The sunsets here are amazing!
- Drive west on Victoria Street (Hwy 6) and less than 10 minutes from town, you’ll find Amherst Point Bird Sanctuary, where more than 200 species of birds have been observed in 1,000 acres of forest and trails!
- Take a short hike to the cool suspension bridge over the Tidnish River. (22 km)
- Tour the depths of a real coal mine at the Springhill Miners Museum. (34 km)
- Hunt for 300-million-year old fossils by the dramatic seashore at Joggins Fossil Cliffs UNESCO World Heritage Site. (35 km)
- Take the Sunrise Trail north to Amherst Shore Provincial Park, where a short hike through the coastal forest leads you to a sandy red beach with some of the warmest saltwater swimming in Canada. (37 km)
- Want to catch a really big fish? Haul in a keeper along the Bay of Fundy or the Northumberland Strait, where you might catch a Striped Bass that weighs 30-40 lbs! You don’t need a licence to sportfish in tidal or salt water in Nova Scotia. Get your gear at Maltby Sports or The Bicycle Specialist.
- In the fall, get a salmon fishing licence and head to the Maccan River for spectacular catch-and-release Atlantic salmon. (22 km)
- Less than an hour away, Ship’s Company Theatre in Parrsboro offers live theatre shows every evening except Mondays, when there are live music performances. (58 km)
Click on the link to download the entire activity guide
40 Great Things To Do in Amherst
Looking for even more insipiration? How about 40! Check out our 40 great things to do in Amherst guide.